National News Agency – An-Nahar: Confirmed resettlement of Syrians and first light on war losses

NNA – An-Nahar daily wrote: Worse than the immediate losses of the war in the south, which Lebanon cannot compensate for without the international warmth it has received so far, the future consequences of the dilemma of the Syrian displacement go beyond the human losses in the south of Lebanon, as they are related to the future of the country and its identity and the protection of its people. Social Affairs Minister Hector Hajjar revealed that there is more going on in Lebanon than resettlement. Mikati insisted that this risk facing all Lebanese should take a historic position, considering the process of replacing Lebanese citizens with Syrian citizens under international protection. In a paper he will travel to Brussels next May 27. Do him justice when he continues to listen to the international community and not engage in mere dialogue. In this context he said: “The Europeans informed him during his last European tour about reducing the ceiling on financial aid for displaced Syrians living in Lebanon, and a French official in the European Union told him what the fate of the Syrians in Lebanon should be. The fate of the Palestinian refugees should be the same, as France and the UK have drawn. We Lebanese must forget borders.

Al-Hajjar, on Lebanese television's “With Walid Abboud” program, asked Prime Minister Najib Mikati to “take a stand on the Syrian displacement issue, not asking the Lebanese to be displaced on the world's sidewalks.” Acting as a country, it can say to Europe, “Help us protect the land and we'll help you protect the seas.”

On another note, President Najib Mikati's speech at the opening of yesterday's cabinet session was notable for the many files he addressed. Regarding the dangers of the security situation in the south and Lebanon's position in condemning Israeli attacks and the importance of electing a president of the republic, Mikati stopped short of the extent of the losses in the south. The aftermath of those attacks prompted calls to declare it an agricultural and educational disaster zone, perhaps for the first time.

See also  A new habitable planet has been discovered 40 light years away

Mikati's words on the situation in the south may be the first of its kind to highlight the extent of losses caused by the complete blackout on the extent of damage and the lack of visits or tours by ministers or government officials. For towns and villages targeted daily. With 14 ambassadors from Arab and Western countries and representatives of international organizations, in the presence of ministers, to assess the humanitarian and field situation in the south, work is underway to secure $70 million in international aid. , United Nations Resident Coordinator Imran Riza revealed during this meeting.

On the other hand, Mikati was aware of the links to what he described as aspects of the diplomatic crisis with Cyprus in the context of the illegal immigration issue, in light of the campaigns published in Cypriot newspapers against Lebanon, so he placed the ministers. As a result of his contact with the President of Cyprus, the minister responsible for displaced persons file in addition to the results of the negotiations at the committee meeting.

Mikati has not shied away from responding to criticism of his government on the bank restructuring issue, in the wake of a draft law that was presented to the cabinet table weeks ago and withdrawn from circulation under the pretext of waiting. For comments by Ministers. In fact, according to available information, the file was actually shelved after the government surprised the legislative proposal submitted by the representatives of the “Development and Liberation” group entitled “Protection of legal bank deposits and return to their owners”. The delegation's submission of the proposal comes at a time when the government is examining a draft law within the same framework, which reflects a contradiction and lack of coordination on a delicate and critical issue affecting depositors' money and the structure of the banking sector. , reflecting a lack of seriousness on both sides in dealing with it.

See also  Argentina star who missed Hong Kong played in Japan angry with fans: Lionel Messi

Talking about the restructuring of the banks is an occasion to review the relationship with the International Monetary Fund, which “An-Nahar” published yesterday about fears about the environment of the fund and the possibility of ending the initial agreement signed with Lebanon. Deputy Prime Minister Al-Shami, as the head of the delegation negotiating with the Fund, clarified that communication with the international organization is still ongoing. The agreement, because the agreement paves the way for entering into a program with Lebanon, falls within the core of the Fund's established work to help countries in need of aid.

Although the Council of Ministers finalized the approval to raise the minimum wage to 18 million liras approved by the Katik Committee, it failed to stop the issue among the set of topics it addressed in the context of revitalizing the work of the government. Municipal and elective elections are prioritized from the start of the countdown to the end of the mandate of councils. It will be extended by the end of next May.

Regarding municipal elections, Home Minister Bassam Mawlavi, who visited Berke yesterday evening, said: “Decision has not yet been made regarding the postponement of municipal and optional elections. Except as per law, it cannot be postponed. The ministry is obliged to conduct it. Elections and apply current law. “The ministry will start tomorrow in the first phase of the call for electoral bodies, and the first governorate will be Mount Lebanon,” he said.

Domestically, a judicial demand movement intensified as the “Union of Depositors in Lebanese Banks” organized a sit-in in front of the Bank of Lebanon to enforce the decisions of the “Depositors and Lawyers Forum”. March 21 of last year. In addition to depositors, lawyers and activists, the representative Charbel Massad participated in the sit-in, raising Lebanese flags and banners, “while compensating for losses, especially lira depositors should pay deposits within a short period of time.”

See also  A large satellite returns to Earth without the possibility of determining when and where it will fall

In turn, the families of those who died in the port explosion staged a monthly picket in front of the statue of the migrants, protesting the rebuilding of the Beirut port and reopening the court case.

In the judiciary, there are three stages, the first of which is to accept the appeal against the 2024 budget and invalidate its 8 articles, and the second is to stop the implementation of the government's decision to return three laws to the Council of State. representatives.

The third is the indictment of the Director General of State Security, Major General Tony Saliba, in the case of the escape of arrested Dani Al-Rasheed.

====

Follow the news of the National News Agency on Radio Lebanon on waves 98.5, 98.1 and 96.2 FM.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *