traffic stats
Jul 282014

centrelinkThere is a not so well known option available for many people who are welfare recipients and have hit a rough patch financially.

Centrelink offers an  “advance payment” to help you get by.

To receive an advance payment, you must be receiving one of the following payments:

  • Age Pension
  • Austudy
  • Carer Payment
  • Disability Support Pension
  • Family Tax Benefit Part A
  • Newstart Allowance
  • Parenting Payment (partnered)
  • Parenting Payment (single)
  • Widow Allowance
  • Widow B Pension
  • Wife Pension
  • Youth Allowance

There are however conditions on whether you can access the advance payment or not, including how long you have been a welfare recipient.

Generally you have to be receiving some form of income support for three months before you’re eligible but for Abstudy, Austudy, youth allowance (students) and family tax benefit there is no minimum time.

For Parents on the Family Tax Benefit

You can choose to receive the Family Tax Benefit advance as a one-off payment and/or as a regular advance.

A one-off advance is an advance payment you can receive on any day of the year. You can choose how much you receive, as long as the amount is within the minimum and maximum amount you are eligible for.

A regular advance is automatically paid to you every 26 weeks as long as you remain eligible, or until you ask us to stop paying a regular advance. The amount you receive as a regular advance will be the minimum advance amount. You can have only one regular advance in place at any given time.

You can have one or more one-off advances at any time, however the combined total of any regular and/or one-off advances is capped at $1,046.05.

You will need to pay this back and repayments are taken out by reducing the amount of your other payment.

See to find out more.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.